Dec 29, 2011

The Best Investment Strategy

I have been laying out my goals and dreams for 2012, and, as always, it has gotten my brain thinking soberly about my life. What am I investing my life into? 

I work in the financial world, so I often find myself comparing a personal concept to it's business counterpart.  When investing money we all know that the only smart purchase is one that will increase in value. But do we understand this when we are dealing with our time? Our lives? Our brains? Our relationships? Our energy? Our youth?

You see, some buy high and sell low. They spend everything they have on what everyone else is doing. The newest fashions, the top video games, the latest movies, the most popular concerts, the hottest TV shows, etc. They fill their brains up with useless information about things that don't really matter - worldiness and philosophies. Their greatest treasure is a good time. But, it comes down to this: when they look back 5 or 10 years from now will they find that they made a good investment with all that time, energy, and money? Will they regret decisions?

Others are careful. They weigh everything before they spend anything on it. The question they always ask is: how will this benefit me and everyone around me? If there is no benefit to be gained, they pass. They invest time into worthwhile endeavors. They spend their money on lasting purchases. They invest into true friendships. They pour energy into righteous causes. They use their brains to invent and create things that will benefit generations to come. Their youth is spent building firm foundations for the rest of their life. Their greatest treasure is instruction and a lesson learned. They invest with wisdom and reap real rewards.

"My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; THEN you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice, and preserves the way of His saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice, equity and every good path. When wisdom enters your heart, and knowledge is pleasant to your soul, discretion will preserve you; understanding will keep you." -Proverbs 2:1-11
And what will Wisdom and Understanding get you?

Proverbs 3 (read the chapter, these are all in there)

  • Long life
  • Peace
  • Favor and high esteem with God and man
  • Health and strength
  • Happiness
  • Life to your soul
  • Grace to your neck
  • Safety - walk without stumbling (how many of us would love to not make stupid mistakes?)
  • Freedom from fear
  • Sweet sleep
  • The blessing of the Lord


But where is the adventure in that? Where is the fun?
You tell me.
Sure, there is a time and place for fun, and movies, and chilling with friends, and watching hilarious music videos on Youtube. But the real question is, 50 years from now, when you look back on your life, will it really matter if you beat all levels of that game. Or if you saw that artist in concert 15 times? Or if you watched every episode of that sitcom? Or that you saw that movie in 3D? Or originated that hilarious meme?

Is the real adventure, perhaps, to be found in using infinite materials to build something eternal?

Don't get me wrong, the preacher is preaching to herself on this one, too. On looking back on my last 25 years days, I find I have wasted plenty of precious time on silliness. And I realize it is time I will never have returned to me. But I also realize I have many years of time ahead of me to remedy my habits and start living like I'm part of something grand. I have time to gain wisdom, and with it, all the rewards of wisdom.

Time spent in the Bible and gaining wisdom will never be time wasted. Energy used to walk in understanding and advance the Kingdom of God is energy invested well. It will bring an eternal reward.

You only have this moment for this moment.
What are you going to spend it on?
Get to it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment