Aug 25, 2010

Soliloquy on the Shepherd

I had someone tell me once that I was simply a blind sheep because I was a Christian. He was confused when I smiled and agreed with him...but allow me to explain...

I read Psalm 23 and I understand that the Lord is my shepherd, my caregiver. Because it is Him, and no one else, that cares for me and because every perfect gift comes out of His hand I can be assured that I will not lack any good thing as long as I remain within His fold.

My shepherd owns a thousand green hills of wonderful pastureland in which I can rest comfortably knowing it is where I belong. I have a place, a home, and a Master. I am well within the set boundaries, so no one may dare take me away from the One who holds my heart.

This shepherd of mine takes the wild streams of everyday life and He breaks into the chaos to design a quiet pool. For a time the world is put on hold and I can drink from the peaceful calm of His Presence and be refreshed.

My mind is renewed with His Words, my heart and emotions are restored by His love, and my will is realigned with His as I sit at His feet. My soul is restored to the way He originally intended it.

He leads me along a straight path, patiently, walking beside me though my walk is slow and stumbling simply because that is Who He is.

Even in the darkest trial when night won't turn to day and my faith is tested to it's limit, still I will not fear because He has never left me nor will He ever. He is my rear guard and my forward motion and nothing can take me from His grasp.
I am comforted in both His guidance and correction because they proclaim to me how much He loves me. I know I am a child of God, because He treats me as only a Father would.

I brought nothing to the table, yet I feast like a king in the presence of my worst enemies. What my enemy sought to harm me with proved to be the downfall of his reign.

I no longer call My shepherd simply "Master" because He has anointed me with the title of Child and Heir. I can ask for nothing more than this. I am content because already I am overflowing with the blessing...and still He adds more.

I awake in the new mercies of my Shepherd every morning, and in every step I observe His goodness surrounding me.
Why would I leave this flock where I have found my very life? I can think of no reason good enough, so here I will dwell, within His House, among His own, basking in the joys of belonging forever and ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment