Nov 2, 2011

Witness of Power

I am pondering this evening:
So often we ask God to prove His power. "Do something miraculous", we ask. 
In response, God calls us into a land full of giants to be defeated. He says, "I will show My power by defeating a giant through you! I will make My strength perfect in your weakness."
...
...
...and we throw a tantrum.

"God WHY did You bring me here where it's so hard?" We sob and wail, "I *hiccup* thought You lllll-loved mmm-meeee."

We want God to prove His power, but we would really rather not be the ones He proves His power through. We want God to prove that He is a provider...but we aren't willing to go through times of need. I fear that we humans are quite illogical!

God doesn't want us to be distant spectators of His power --He wants us to experience His mightiness. He will show us His power first-hand if we are willing.

Of course this means facing giants. It requires unflinching faith, costly sacrifice, and daring obedience when what God asks us to do does not make sense. Sometimes it may require changing our attitudes from fear to curiosity...not questioning if He can, but wondering how He will.
It means being like Daniel, faced with a lion's den.
Like Job refusing to complain
Like Gideon in battle with only 300 men
Or Noah waiting for rain
Like Abraham with his son at the altar
Like Esther who would die if she failed
Like Elijah dowsing the altar with water
Or Paul and Silas singing in jail
Like Moses before Pharaoh with only a rod
Like David honoring a fractious king
Like the the old woman bringing her last cent to God
Choosing faith in this moment is the important thing

In the end we have proof of God's power, a display of His love, and an experience to put in our pocket to show anyone who wonders just how big our God really is.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting insights, Lisa. I was thinking of this very thing yesterday... wondering why we crave God's power, but resist the events in our lives that would show that power. It's only in the darkness that the candle's light shows up. If I want my "little light" to shine, I have to walk into the darkness and let it light up the room. Thanks for the inspiration!

Post a Comment